Our 2023 in-person scion exchange is coming up on February 4, from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM. It will be held this year at the Palo Alto Buddhist Temple Gym.
The Scion Exchange offers members and the public an opportunity to select scions that can be grafted to rootstock or to existing fruit trees. Hundreds of different varieties of Pome (Apple and Pear), Stone fruit (Apricot, Peach, Plum, Nectarine, Cherry), Persimmon scions & more for grafting to your own backyard fruit trees. There will also be cuttings (Fig, Berry, Pomegranate, Grape, etc.) to propagate by rooting.
A grafting demo will be held to provide basic instruction on the process.
Rootstock will be available for purchase at the exchange, CASH ONLY.
If you are coming to the exchange, make sure to bring the following for collecting your scions:
- Ziplock bag to put the scions in to stay fres
- Masking or painters tape to label the individual scions with their type
- Marker pen that can write on masking tape
- Cash for rootstock purchase, and entry fee
- Early & free admission at 10 am to members of the Santa Clara Valley CRFG chapter (with proof)
- Open to general public starting 11 AM. There is a $10 fee. Save the fee by joining our chapter, and receive access to our events all year!
- Free grafting classes / demo
When: Feb. 4th, 2023, 10 am – 1 pm Add to Calendar
Where: Gym @Palo Alto Buddhist Temple, 2751 Louis Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303, USA
More Information (Provided by the Golden Gate Chapter) :
- What is a “Scion Exchange”?
- What Should You Bring?
- How Do You Prepare and Store Scion Wood?
- Making the Best of the Scion Exchange – What to Bring, How to Choose Varieties, What to do with the Scions
- Labels for Scions You Bring to the Exchange
- Other Scion Exchanges
- Videos Explaining More About Scion Exchanges